Monday 14 September 2020

Crafty Cardmakers Challenge #263 - Use a Recycled Element

 Hello dear friends and welcome.  So pleased you stopped by,

Judy is our Host for the new Challenge at Crafty Cardmakers, and the Theme is to use a Recycled Element in your project.   As always, you may create whatever you wish as long as it follows the Theme.  If it is not obvious, please tell us what it is that you have recycled.

 

For my project, I have created an album cover out of a recycled box.  

I actually started making this Album cover before I realised that we had a recycling Challenge coming up so, unfortunately, I didn't take any photos right at the very beginning.   I had already attached the spine to the front and back covers when it finally dawned on me that I could use this as my DT contribution.  Duh!!

As you can see, I used the box from our new electric toothbrush.  The covers measure 6" x 6" and the spine is 6" x  1.5".

To attach the spine piece to the covers, I used wet glue and a polyester fabric which is normally used as lining.  It is quite thin but also quite strong and works really well for book binding. 

Once the glue was dry, I attached double sided tape to the side that I wanted as the outside of my book.

 
I had to glue two sheets of tea stained paper together to make a piece large enough to fit.  If you look carefully, you can just see the join but it's not really noticeable IRL and it will be covered over when I embellish the cover anyway.
Turned the cover over again, lined it up in the center of the paper and then removed the backing on the double sided tape and glued it down.
I bevilled the corners and then attached double sided tape all around the edge so I could wrap the paper around the cover.

 I always wrap the long sides first.  Not really sure why, but I just prefer doing it that way.

Once the paper was wrapped around the edge, I added the binding strip ..
.. and then attached more tea stained paper to the inside covers.



This is still a work in progress.  I have completed a few pages but it still has some way to go before the album is finished.  

Now it is your turn.  If you pop over to the CCM Blog you will see lots of wonderful inspiration from the rest of the Team for your own recycled project.  Would love to see what you create.
 
Crafty Cardmakers Challenge #263 - Use a Recycled Element.
 
Thank you so much for your visit and enjoy the rest of your day!
 
Take care, stay safe and God Bless.
oxox  Marg
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Margaret! Love this entry! Can I ask--do you use a cutting die for the detail on the spine? I'm talking about the long thin papers you add the pages to. I think I see it in one picture? If so, can you tell me which one it is? I want to try your method. Thank you and please keep sharing your wonderful designs with us. I look forward to your updates. Take care, Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for the lovely comment. I don't use a cutting die for my spine. I actually use the hidden hinge method by Kathy Orta. She has some great videos on you tube and shows the procedure in great detail. Alternatively, you could also take a look at videos by JenofEve. She uses a slightly different method which is just as effective. Hope this helps. x

      Delete
  2. Hi Margy, that was interesting reading the instructions for your journal cover as I'm just starting a Baby memory journal and need all the help I can get Lol! Have a lovely creative week, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the details of your recycling project Margy. A brilliant idea to decrease land fill and make something out of waste cardboard. Love the tea stained papers and will watch with interest to see what comes next. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most interesting re cycling and you are so clever....fabulous...xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great piece of recycling, I really like your method of attaching your pages, it looks so neat. I am really looking forward to seeing your completed journal now! Keep safe and well. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marg! I hope you are keeping well and enjoying Springtime! I am always in awe of how you create your albums.. the cover foundation looks amazing, and I hope we get to see what you do with it.. very creative in re-cycling a box too.. I am sure this is going to turn out beautifully! Anyways it is still a bit coolish up this way, but the gardens in Toowoomba look amazing despite the dry.. take care.. keep well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful piece of upcycling to create this gorgeous journal. Oh dear, I'm unhappily aware that the removal men are going to think I'm very strange shipping a load of empty boxes, mackerel and anchovy tins, and old glass jars out to the Czech Republic - crafting is not a good pastime as far as storage goes!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one.