Monday 4 February 2019

Just for You - A Masculine Card

Hello my dear friends and welcome!  Hope your day has been good so far.

I'm here to share a masculine card with you.  Made this one a little while ago but haven't shown it yet so I felt that today was the day.

 I purchased a Geli Plate quite a long time ago but left it sitting in the drawer and hadn't used it at all until I watched a few videos by Kate Crane which inspired me to have a try.  Well, it didn't quite turn out the way I had envisioned.  I couldn't get the paint to transfer properly to the paper and I lost quite a lot of the colour.  Not sure if I simply didn't use enough paint or not enough pressure but it came out quite patchy.
 I gave it up, and was actually going to toss my first few tries in the bin but then decided that they would be quite alright to use as backgrounds for a few cards. 
From memory, I used blue, green and a touch of rust acrylic paint on my Geli Plate with black as the last coat but, as you can see above, I ended up with just that touch of green and the patchy bits of black.   I'm thinking it might have been the fact that it was quite a hot day when I did this and maybe that's why it didn't work too well.  Perhaps the paint dried too much.
Did a bit of stamping to fill some of the empty space and then layered it along with kraft cardstock and design papers by Kaisercraft.
Added washi tape and a chippie border.  
For the greeting I used a little tag punched out from another paper pad (also by Kaisercraft).
There you have it!
My first try with the Geli Plate didn't turn out too well but I still like the card made from my failure!!  Nice and grungy and perfect for male cards and, maybe my next try will turn out better.  I certainly hope so!

Thank you so much for your visit and for any comment you may care to leave .. I love to know what you think and appreciate them enormously.

Have a wonderful day and have fun crafting!
Take care and God Bless.

15 comments:

  1. Well, your gelli plate play may not have turned out as you had planned, but I'm sooo glad you saved this one from the bin to use on this magnificent masculine card! The GP background works just perfectly with these layers of papers, washi tape and chippie. I just love your style, Margaret! Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so gorgeous!! I love how the gelli plate background turned out!! It's perfect for a masculine card!! The layers and design are beautiful!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having watched lots of Kate's videos, mine seem to be failures too but then I watched Birgit Koopsen's and I was happier with my results. I think it is trial and error really, but I love the way your background looks, it is just perfect for male cards - and you already know how much I love your male cards Margaret! This one is fabulous. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. All’s well that ends well Margaret. Like you, I’ve had some epic fails with my geli, but so glad you were able to create a stunning masculine card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The geli plate 'mishap' is really a "Happy Accident" because this card turned out great! Love the washi tape...a reminder to me to try not to forget to use washi tape!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea how the gelliplate works or the effect if realy should have but your card looks realy great! A lovely masculine card. Marlies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marg! Well I dont think it was a right off at all, it sure does make for a fabulous back ground for a male card.. I love the chipboard piece like that too.. fantastic ripped edges.. I love this card.. I am sure with lots more playing, and less house work (hehe!!) you will have this geli plate mastered!! I hope your week is going well.. still hot and dry here, just wish some of the rain from up north could come down our way... they sure dont need any more for a while.. but ah well.. i am sure our rain is on its way!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is another cool masculine card and I too bought my gelli plate a couple of years ago and it sat in the drawer and at the end of last year I went and did a class. I got some pretty cool backgrounds from that but I too could not get all the paint off the plate. I think it is that it is not dry enough and the the final coat has to cover it all really well. Having said all of that I have been avidly devouring videos to see where I am going wrong and it seems like a lot of people have the same thing. Maybe that it the way it is supposed to go. In the mean time I have been playing with mine and loving it. I try and not get too stressed if the end result is not what I expect and I think the whole thing is that you can cut it up and use on cards or as part of embellishments and so on... so keep playing and I look forward to seeing more <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. The long look of this is really super, with that lovely vertical collaging giving it great elegance. I love the earthy colour tones - and I'd be envious of any males receiving it! The Gelli print may not have worked as you intended, but I think it looks great.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Marg, whatever the reasons, I think it was a very happy and successful outcome! You card is beautiful (in a manly way : ) lol) and you were able to experiment and get to know your gel press better. Your work here is awesome and your layers add great texture and interest! TFS Hugs, karen o

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Margy. The card looks great to me. Have you tried using inks on the Geli plate, you might like that. I think sometimes the paint dries really quickly and may be difficult to lift. It is also possible to use too much paint but I'm sure with practice you'll master it. Have a lovely creative week, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are the queen of masculine cards! I love how all yours turn out. I find this to be a hard theme for me to be successful at. That black patterned paper is a fabulous contrast. And I think you gelli print is wonderful. I love the rustic look that it gives. I too just used my gelli plate for the first time and noticed that not all the paint transferred. I kinda like how it doesn't all transfer the first time because once it continues to built up, it eventually comes off lending a peeled paint look. I suppose it will take practice. Looking forward to seeing more of what you come up with.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do hope you don't give up on the Geli plate....I don't have one, so can't help. I do love your unique and bespoke bg paper tho!!! Looks brill with that touch of green, & the greeting is lovely too. You always ROCK 'man' cards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year to you and sorry that I haven't visited for ages!!!! You certainly make the most amazing masculine cards and I love them to bits! This one is no different and even though you were a bit disappointed with the Geli plate...its perfect with this card! I admit I haven't used a Geli plate... not sure that I will acquire one.. but would like to try one! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another masculine masterpiece my friend. You have that way with layers that always leaves me wanting for more. Bravo! Big hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one.