Thursday 16 October 2014

The Sherlock Book by Watson for Meg's Garden

Hello everyone and welcome to my blog.  So pleased you came for a visit.
I am here to show you what I have created with Kerry-Jean Watson's awesome Sherlock Book Kit.  This fabulous Kit is available from Meg's Garden as either a fully printed version or a digital download that you can print for yourself.  HERE is the link to see the video of the Book Kit.

I am basically a card maker and I was in need of a Crafting Diary to keep track of Birthdays and Anniversaries, etc. and also Design Team Deadlines, and so that is what I decided to make with my Kit.  Yes, I do have all that information on my computer, but there is nothing like having it all on hand in a pretty book is there??


For the front cover I did some stamping and stenciling and splashed a little paint around as well before adding the embellies.  Most of the embellishments you can see came from Meg's Garden.  You can purchase some fantastic 'bundles' that contain beads, ribbons, metal embellies ... everything you could possibly need to beautifully embellish your Kit, and they come in an assortment of colours too!!
The film strip frame came from my stash and the photos inside it are actually photos of some of my past projects for Meg's Garden. The quote was found on the net.  I wanted to incorporate some craft quotes into this book so you will see the odd one or two scattered around on different pages.  


The tabs you can see peeking out from the side of the book are part of the Kit.  I simply wrote the months on by hand and then glued them to the edge of the journal pages.


The book measures 5.75" x 7.75" and all the pages were distressed and inked with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink and then glued to sheets of Kraft Cardstock.  Punched some holes with my Crop-adile and bound it together with seam binding.  The binding  was also coloured with Distress Ink in Gathered Twigs and Walnut Stain.  
Here's a closie of the charms ...


... and another of the quote and the flower cluster.


I wanted this book to be more than just a Diary.  I also want to use it as an ideas journal so I made a couple of small booklets and some tags in order to record things like interesting sketches, color palettes and great techniques.
Making the booklet was very simple.   I just cut some kraft cardstock and some  plain sheets of paper to the size I wanted, folded them in half and then simply punched two holes in the crease and pulled some twine through and tied it with a bow.   I then covered the front of each booklet with some of the paper and used a fancy paper clip to keep them closed.

Following are some shots of the embellished pages or you can just go straight down  to the end of this post for a walk through video which was made by Kerry-Jean Watson the creator of this awesome Kit.  I don't make videos as I don't have the equipment and I am so pleased that Kerry-Jean offered to do one for me.  Thank you KJ ... you rock!!  






... and this is the back of the book.  The gorgeous stains you can see are actually on the paper itself.  The only changes I made here was to distress and ink the edges ... Looooovee  those stains!!


Here is the walk-through video!!


I do hope you like my little Diary and that I have inspired you to get one for yourself!!  Why not pop over to the Meg's Garden Blog and see what my Teamies created with this awesome Kit.  You will be amazed by the variety!!
HERE is the link to the blog and HERE is the link to the Shop!

Meg's Garden Products used:
The Sherlock Book Kit
Camel Bundle
Sage Burlap Ribbon
Seam Binding

Thank you so much for visiting and I hope you enjoy the rest of your day!
Take care and God Bless.

10 comments:

  1. Margaret your book/diary is gorgeous, there's lots of work in it and each page looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Marg, LOVE this!!! I adore projects like this anyway (as you probably know), but this one is a real STUNNER!! Love the grungy look of the papers, but you have really brought them to life with the stenciling and stamping and all the stunning embellishments and layering! Love the torn edge pockets. Fabulous inspiration! Brilliant make!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, this is simply stunning! And so very useful too! I use google calender to keep track of my various DT commitments, but it would be so nice to have something physical like this!
    I love the kit too. Great theme and gorgeous papers. They're right up my street! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet they were thrilled to see what you'd done with this super kit Marg! An outstanding project that really makes the most of those papers. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous little book Marg, a pretty book sure does beat a computer anyday! I love the edges of your pages and love all the crafty quotes too! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wow and more wow! Absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just totally FABULOUS....I adore 'useful' OTP projects & this really fits the bill....& the video is a lovely 'walk through'...what a Lovely friend to help you with that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an excellent job you did on this kit Marg! Looks like it was definitely made for you as you have used it perfectly. Your book looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this and it is such a good idea... I have to have a little book to touch and see... I am going to scrap lift this idea for next year. Such a good idea and such a beautiful book Marg... Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here I am enjoying your little book almost 10 years after your creation. It is darling and so personal. I really loved the quote that said.. .."I just want to make beautiful things even if nobody cares." My sentiments exactly. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one.