Sunday 20 July 2014

Masculine Grunge #1

Hello everyone and welcome to my blog.
I hope, wherever you are, that you are experiencing some lovely weather.  Adelaide has been cold and overcast for weeks but, today, we finally have some sun!!  It's still pretty cold though so all I can say is "Bring on the summer"!!!!
OK, down to business  ... I have another card to share with you.  A very masculine and quite 'grungy' card as my title suggests.
I distressed all the edges with my Ingvild Bolme Distressy Tool and inked them with 'Gathered Twigs' Distress Ink.

 A bit of Heather Jacob influence here I think, but still with my own stamp on it!!  If you don't know Heather (Can't really imagine that, but) HERE is the link to her blog if you'd like to take a look!!  You won't be sorry, as she creates the most gorgeous and inspiring projects!  Looooveeee her work!!
The papers used are from Prima's 'Engraver' Collection.  The tickets were fussy cut from the papers then I crumpled them a little, inked the edges and slipped them in between the layers.

Used a spatula to add some 'Clear Rock Candy' Distress Crackle and, when that was dry, I went over it with 'Gathered Twigs' Distress Ink to bring out the cracks.  I then just used my finger to swipe some gesso around the edge.  I love how the gesso also 'cracked' when it dried.

Used the same technique on the belly band as you can see.  I've had the metal key and the clock in my stash for a little while and am not sure where I got those but I really love that key.  Was a bit sorry to use it as it is the only one I have but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet don't you??

Here's another closie of the 'crackle' effect.  I really love it and you'll be seeing a lot more of this in my work!!!

Decorated the inside with wide bands of the paper which were border punched with the 'Optic Dot' Punch by Martha Stewart.  Then I added a bit more texture with Tim Holtz 'Latticework' Stencil and 'Frayed Burlap' Distress Ink and, again, wiped a little gesso around the edge on one side.


A different view ... lying down ...

... and standing up!!
This is the first of two 'grungy' masculine cards I created.   The second is similar to this but of course a bit different as well and I will show you that one further down the track.

Thank you so much for visiting today and I do hope you enjoy the rest of your day.
Take care and God Bless.


20 comments:

  1. This looks amazing Marg! Wowee. Love how you do masculine, love the distressed edges and love the inside of your card too. And yes Heather is amazing too! I hope you weekend has been good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...yummy grunge! Loooove that crackle - I've got some but haven't used it for ages...must dig it out! I really like how you always make the inside of your cards pretty, too...well, grungy in this instance, but you know what I mean:):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card Marg! Wonderful layering and grunge. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I adore it & can't wait to see the next one! Just love masculine grunge!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW this is such a GORGEOUS card Margy & yes I can see a little of Heathers influence there too. Love all the layers & textures & that crackling on the front looks amazing. Fab card indeed. Cheers Di

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this bold and masculine card with all the texture; especially the crackle effect. (I've just bought my second jar of that, as the first one, went in a flash. The layering is wonderful and I like the surprise of finding interesting decoration inside as well. Beautiful work :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this beautiful card! And as said on FB, I love your work more and more. Especial your art journals, they are great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my golly gosh...what a stunning masculine card, Marg!!! So many brilliant techniques & amazing layers! This one's a new fav for me....although I'm sure you'll surprise me even more down the track & pull off another cracker that will become the new fav! Always love your cards...& your work is so very inspiring <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I really like this one. The colours are rich and rustic and the textures just gorgeous. So many layers and I do see a bit of Heath in it too but you have such a unique style that I just love. Fab card. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Margaret, it's FANTASTIC!!! So cool card!!! I can't find any words, just LOVE it!!! :)
    ~Olga Kovalchuk

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fabulous and the ageing is superb! Love the way you've combined the elements Margaret. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG OMG OMG !!!!!!!!! loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee every little piece of this .... hugz x
    I am getting use to using my mobile while I am away ... at home I always use my computer (which is easier) but the mobile is fabulous while away . Astrid gives you a big hug which I will deliver when I arrive back home x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a gorgeous card,love all the texture and layers x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks gorgeous. Found your work on pintrest. I am glad
    I found you really love your work. Thanks for showing Anneke

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ybeaut if you can say this over a man card, what a wonderful way to put this over, very enjoyable

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...really love this. I found you by way of Pinterest. Thinking I will really enjoy more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Art, Craft, illustrations are not masculine or feminine. Their appeal is much broader than your division suggests. Just “ grungy” works fine for me. I’m a woman who also likes so-called masculine things, too. By labeling your work according to gender, you reduce its appeal (and sales potential) by half because some men will never look at a piece labeled feminine and some women ... you get the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Lynn. I share my craftings just to show what I've been up to and, hopefully, to inspire other crafters, as they inspire me. It doesn't really bother me if some people won't come to look because of the label but I do appreciate your views.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one.