Thursday 21 September 2017

Two simple Journals for Megs Garden - Part #2

Hello sweet visitors!!  Thank you for dropping by, so lovely to have you visit.

So, this is part two of my 'Two Simple Journals' posts.
If you would like to take a look at Part#1, HERE is the link.

These are the two books I created using Megs Garden's lovely papers.
In this post I will share with you the booklet on the right .. my writer's Journal.  This is the little book I will use to practice my hand writing.  As I said in Part#1, I used to have a reasonably neat hand but, over the years, that has deteriorated quite badly so now I need to practice to get it back up to scratch.

The inspiration for this booklet came from Astrid Maclean of Astrid's Artistic Efforts.  Astrid, like me, loves to make all kinds of booklets and, lately, she has been working with the Eileen Hull die.  Unfortunately, I don't have that die so I had to make mine by hand but I did use that book as inspiration for my design.
The papers used for this Journal are all from the A4, digital version of the 'In the Watercolour Garden' Collection.
As I wanted a reasonably soft cover, I simply made it from cardstock.  I used black for the outside cover and kraft for the inside.  The finished book, when closed, measures 4.75" x 8.5".
 I glued a piece of chipboard behind the spine on the inside cover for extra strength, punched the holes, threaded the elastic through those holes and simply knotted it at the back.   I then glued the two covers together.
 As with the first Journal, this one doesn't have much in the way of embellishment.  As this is also a work book, I didn't want anything three dimensional getting in the way.  Besides, these papers have such lovely graphics on them that I really didn't want to cover them up.
For the front cover though, I did add a Tim Holz door knob and some stamping.  I also fussy cut a second butterfly to give it a little bit of dimension.


I really love the graphic on this paper .. simply stunning!!
The inside cover and the first signature.
I added a pocket on the inside front cover and added some faux stitching with a gel pen at the top.  The 'lace' is simply a strip cut from the edge of a paper doily. 

 The pocket will house a small booklet which will mainly be used for any hints and notes that I may find and wish to keep.  I added more faux stitching around the edge of the paper.
 There are three signatures in this booklet ..
 I cut some pages from a cheap exercise book for the inside, made a cover for each signature and stapled them together.  Each one loops under an elastic band in the spine of the outer cover.  This way, as I fill them up, I can create new signatures and  replace them.
 Added a strip of washi tape at the edge of the signature to give the spine a bit more strength.  The only other bit I did was to add the quote.  As I said before, these papers have the most gorgeous graphics they really don't need any enhancement.
Back of the first signature and front of the second.
Love this music paper .. so gorgeous!!
All I did here was to add the quote.
Back of the second signature and front of the third.

I simply had to use this paper again .. I love it so .. and I only added the quote.  After taking this photo, I did add that strip of washi tape to the spine though, for added strength and continuity.
Back of the third signature and inside back cover.
 This is the most gorgeous background paper .. I didn't add anything because I didn't want to spoil it.  Love it just as is.
 As on the inside front cover, I just added some stenciling with Distress Ink.

A little metal embellishment on the back ..
.. and Voila!!
My work book is complete!!

I hope you like my little book and I'm sure you will agree with me that those papers are simply stunning!!!!  If you'd care to take a look at all of the gorgeous papers available in the Garden HERE is the link.  While you're there, why not take a look at all the fabulous products in store .. I know you will find something that you cannot bear to be without!!  LOL!!

There is some wonderful inspiration to be had over at the Garden blog.  Pop on over and take a look at the fabulous creations by my Teamies.  I know you will enjoy the visit HERE.

Thank you so much for dropping by today and, whatever you have planned .. do it well, do it safe and enjoy your day!!

Take care and God Bless.
oxox Marg

13 comments:

  1. What a great way to make this book! It is beautiful!!!
    lots of love, Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another gorgeous book Margy - so pretty and so practical. The papers are stunning and I like that you allowed them to shine without too much adornment. Hmmm - I probably should practice my writing too, but I'm not sure which century that will happen in! The metal knob on the front makes a statement and it's good that you can add more pages, using that method of fastening. Good luck with the lettering and thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Margaret and ultra stylish. You always finish things off so well. I know you are going to enjoy using these. Happy writing practice, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little journals Marg are always a treasure! I love the soft graphics on each page and your little book will be something lovely to cherish.. I hope your week is going well.. guess what?? I saw Christmas stuff in Big W yesterday!!!! NOOOOo!!! hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This paper is so beautiful and you've combined it into another winning design! I love your cover and the way you edged your insert spines with washi. Beautiful details throughout! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is stunning!! I love the design and the details you added to the cover!! The inside is amazing!! Wow!! I love the papers!! So gorgeous!! I am leaving on vacation and won't be around for a couple of weeks. I'll stop by when I get back!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I lost my comment.... You are so right about the papers, they are absolutely exquisite, they look almost 3D and make me want to reach out and touch them - especially those brushes! The little door knob on the front is such a lovely idea, it seems to invite you to look inside. Your writer's journal is so beautiful I think I would find it hard to write in it, I would want to keep it out just to look at - the papers are just so gorgeous! Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty and I love that it is small enough to carry with you. I would love to have something like this to practice in... I go in fits and starts... love these little books. So clever

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Margaret, I just knew this was going to be gorgeous!! The cover is amazing, I adore the background paper and the butterfly looks like she's floating amid those flowers! The metal handle piece is a brilliant addition! The inside is just as stunning! Blues and pinks and flowers and laces, what's not to love!!

    I was thinking this year we may get an early winter, but instead we've landed into a late summer. It's so hot outside that I'm afraid autumn will be over before I even get the chance to go out and enjoy it. Here's hoping where you are, that the weather is picture perfect for springtime! sending hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What more can I say than WAUW!! A gorgeous journal with beautiful papers. Thanks for the tutorial too. Someday I will try making something like it but I'll never get your touch for the shabby chic.
    Fantastic work. Marlies x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marg

    This is totally stunning, I am truly amazed talented lady

    June x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What June said! Really, Margaret, you have blown me away with your journals! Your workmanship is impeccable, and the papers really are so gorgeous! The quotes you have chosen are very inspiring and I'm sure you will be reaching for this journal over and over again! What really tickled me is your stencil work--so soft and blends perfectly into the background of those delicate papers. What a lovely journal, and I happen to know now you will have simpler work when you make one! Congratulations on winning that EH journal die! Sending big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are absolutely lovely - such elegant, delicate neutrals and pastels, beautifully designed and made. A treat for the eyes.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one.