Thursday 7 August 2014

My first Canvas and a RAK from a Sweet Friend!!

Hello everyone and welcome to my blog!
Hope you are all having a lovely day.  The weather here in Adelaide at the moment is gorgeous!!  It's a beautiful, sunny winter's day.   Temperature is still a bit cool but out in the sun it is so lovely!!  Have to make the most of it because it probably won't last, but one can hope can't one??

Today, I'd like to share with you my very first canvas.  Have been itching to do one for ages but was a bit intimidated by the whole idea, and then I thought, 'what the heck', can't be any harder than an Art Journal page and I've already done some of those.  
So, here it is!
I love the combination of orange and blue and, although the shades weren't quite what I was after,  I'm quite happy with the background.  I just watered down some acrylic paints and put them into a sprayer.  After the paint was dry I sprayed again with some Pearl Glimmer Mist for a bit of shimmer, although that doesn't show in the photos.

That stunning corner chipboard piece is the Corner Flower Vine from 2Crafty Chipboard.  I used texture paste to rough it up a bit and then used acrylic paint to colour it.  I won't bore you with the details of how many times I actually painted it and gessoed it and then painted it again.  Originally I wanted it to be green but I just couldn't get the right shade with the supplies I have on hand so, in the end, I had to use the blue.  I do actually like it that way, which is just as well!!  LOL!  Once it was dry I randomly brushed it with some gesso.

Did some stencil work with texture paste and then needed to spray the background a bit more so the paste got some colour as well.  Both of the pretty lace ribbons are available from Meg's Garden and I obtained the quote from the net.  I simply wrote it out by hand onto some plain paper and inked the edges.   That gorgeous key was coloured with acrylic paint and then lightly brushed with gesso.

The flowers are mainly from Kaisercraft except for the small deep  red one which is also available from Meg's Garden.  The cluster was placed on top of a piece of gauze and then dry brushed with gesso to soften the look.  The small sprigs are pieces from a wooden flourish by KC, I simply cut off the bits I wanted to use.  The small hearts are also from KC and were coloured the same as the corner vine.

So, now to the random act of kindness.
This key is my favourite part of this canvas.  In a recent post of one of my cards (you can find it HERE) I lamented about using a lovely little key which had been in my stash for quite a long time because I loved it and hadn't wanted to lose it.  I'm sure you've all been there.  Well, my sweet cyber friend Linda Eggleton saw my post and contacted me to say she had a couple of similar keys and would be happy to send them to me.  I was gobsmacked.  How awesome was that??  Of course I said I would love to have them and she not only sent me the keys but I also received the most gorgeous tag that she had made.  I am over the moon!  Her tag now takes pride of place in my crafty space.  Thank you so much Linda, you are so kind and generous!!  
A closie of the key ...

... and Linda's gorgeous tag.  
If you don't know Linda's work, HERE is the link to her blog.  She takes the most beautiful photographs and makes the most stunning Scrapbook pages and cards.  I love her work!!

Isn't it gorgeous??  I love the colour and the textures ...
... the sweet little butterfly and key, and the pretty ribbon ... 
 ... and the hearts and fabulous blooms!
 I love all the many layers as well.  There is so much to look at on this beautiful tag ...
... simply stunning!!!

... and a final closie of my canvas!.

I hope you've enjoyed my post and that you will go and take a look at Linda's Blog.  You won't be sorry I assure you!!  She is one talented lady!!

Thank you so much for visiting and I hope I have inspired you a little today!!
I do hope you enjoy the rest of your day.
Take care and God Bless.

10 comments:

  1. Oh Marg your canvas looks wonderful.. very inspirational.. and I am sure you will do more of them... and what a lovely tag and gesture from Linda, how very thoughtful and kind.. I know many scrappers out there who have sent me stuff too for no other reason then to share some happiness... there are still many wonderful people in the world.. Enjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed reading this...& that was lovely of Linda! Your canvas is wonderful - looove the lace, the chippy & the bg work you've done...I'm glad it turned out blue, too....nice colour combo:):) Now you've done one---there'll be no stopping you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely LOVE your canvas, Marg...and can't believe that this is your first one!!! The key looks fantastic (I knew you'd do something amazing with them!) as does the fabulous chipboard piece & all the gorgeous blooms. Beautiful work as always :)

    Thank you so much for mentioning me about the keys & the tag....and the link to my blog :) I'd be thrilled if some of your followers popped over for a looksie. Enjoy the rest of your week & I hope the weather stays nice for a bit longer :))) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Margie, I cannot believe this was your very first canvas, it looks amazing with so many fabulous techniques!! Love that dramatic colour combination and the addition of the flowers, key and wonderful chippies looks fabulous, specially with the touches of Gesso etc.

    Linda's tag looks amazing too, off to her blog now to check it out. Hope your lovely weather continues!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely canvas Marg! Great job!! You're a natural!!! I love Linda's blog & her work - always perfect & that tag is so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely canvas Marg!! Love the flourishes and background. They are so much fun I'm sure we will see many more canvas' from you. What a lovely gift too from Linda. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the canvas. Congrats on making your first! I have been thinking about it for some time, and I will,....soon... .-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love love your canvas Margy. The words are so lovely and that key looks awesome. What a lovely gesture from a lovely person. Also such a beautiful tag too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Marg - you sure nailed this! I love it! And what a lovely story about the key :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Margy gorgeous. I love the colours and the key looks wonderful, that chippie is gorgeous and I like it blue - I reckon everything happens for a reason. Linda's tag is very beautiful too and she is one talented scrapper.... one of my faves..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one.