Wednesday 7 November 2012

Curiosity Shoppe Mini Album Cover

Hi everybody! I've almost finished my Curiosity Shoppe Mini Album.  Having a little trouble with this one because I keep coming up with different ideas.  Anyway it's nearly done, I've just got a few more tags to make.  I thought I'd share with you how I made the cover.



I originally wanted faux leather, so I researched the net and found a few different methods for making cardstock look like leather.  The one I tried  uses Ink Refresher.  You saturate the cardstock on both sides with the refresher and then scrunch it up, open it out, scrunch it up again and do this until you get the look you want.
Be careful though with the type of cardstock you use. I tried it on a small piece first and it worked really well but when I worked on the piece for the cover I used a different cardstock and ended up with black hands because the colour ran. I had to put on rubber gloves. 
After I got it to the look I wanted I sprayed it all over with Creme de Cocoa Glimmer Mist and then in a few spots I also used Sugar Plum Fairy.  After it was completely dry I rubbed some Versa Color Bronze over the raised bits.
 
Not sure that it actually looks like leather but it didn't turn out too bad.  Unfortunately it was a bit difficult to make it fit around the edge and I couldn't get it to stick down properly.  In the end, I made a frame and only used the leather look piece in the centre. 
The clock charm and the leaf are from Blue Moon and the brad is from Graphic 45.


Here is a close-up of the flower cluster.  Some are Prima and some are Kaisercraft. The leaves were cut with Magnolia Ink's Vintage Flower & Leaf Die and I added a few of my little spirals as well.


And this is the back.
Further to my previous posts on the binding for this album, before I add the outer cover I glue some cloth tape just on the spine only.

Like this.
I think it helps to strengthen it.  Unfortunately my albums don't open up as wide as I'd like them to so I'm going to have to find an alternative for the outer spine cover.
Well my friends, that's all for now.  Enjoy the rest of your day and thank you so much for visiting.
Take care and God Bless
xx Marg

2 comments:

  1. Marg, this is truly amazing, it does look like leather and has a wow factor for sure. I love it!! When you are at Spotlight next, go into the adhesive section and buy yourself a bottle of Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive. It will stick 'anything' and is acid free, and a wonderful adhesive. Where did you purchase your cloth tape from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Marg I cant fined your email addy ??? I have broken a tooth so will have to take a rain check for Monday .... bugger I was loOking forward to catching up . my email hjacob@bigpond.net.au
    hugz from Heather x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one.